- Place an Ad
- Why The Pilot
- Pilot Products
- The Market
- Rate Cards
- Contact Us
The Virginian-Pilot Advertising: Fonts & Colors
The Virginian-Pilot's Graphic Designers use the following font packages when designing client's advertisements:
- Adobe Type Basics
- Adobe Value Pak
These three font packages contain over 1,000 different fonts, in many styles to convey a variety of messages. Contact your Pilot Advertising Account Representative or your Graphic Designer for additional information.
The Virginian-Pilot offers you the flexibility of adding color to your advertisements or special print jobs. In addition to the 4 process inks (cyan, magenta, yellow and black), you can specify a spot color by number from the chart below.
Please remember that this is only a guide to help you mix your colors. The colors that you see on your computer screen may look different than printed on newsprint. This may be due to the way your monitor is calibrated, as well as the fact that colors on the screen are more vibrant than they would appear in newsprint. Please contact your Pilot Advertising Account Representative or your Graphic Designer for additional information.
Virginian-Pilot Specifications For Optimum Reproduction
- Image Resolution (color and grayscale): 200 DPI
- Line Screen: 100 LPI
- Monochrome Images Graphics and Fine Line Art: 600-1200 DPI
- Image File Formats: TIFF, EPS, PSD
- Color Mode for Saved Color Images: CMYK
- Color Mode for Black and White Images: Grayscale
- Dot Gain: 28-30%
- Maximum Ink Density (total ink limit): 230-240% (C-60%, M-55%, Y-50%, K-65%)
- Maximum Reproducible Dot: 90%
- Minimum Reproducible Dot: 3%
- Recommended GCR: 60-70%
- Black Ink Limit: 100%
- Sharpening: Use Unsharp Mask, Radius = 1.0, Threshold = 3
- If you are a new customer please contact us to setup a test before sending us live ads.
- We can only ensure that your ad will print correctly by sending it by the established deadlines. This allows us to preflight your file and contact you concerning any problems we find.
- We accept only Acrobat PDF files which have become the industry standard for digital camera ready ads.
- PDF files must be composite files, do not send separated PDF files for color ads. All color files must be built as CMYK files.
- We cannot accept your fonts and enter them into our system due to licensing restriction with the fonts.
- Your electronic file must be complete and ready for printing, no tonal corrections will be made to any halftones in your file.
- Remember work flows are different at each Newspaper or Service Provider, due to the complexity of some of the modern design software what may work somewhere else may not work for us. We are a totally paginated newspaper and work only with digital files; no paste-ups or negatives please.